Writing for women’s magazines for close on 20 years has taught me some stuff about men and relationships. Here are a few biggies every girl needs to know:
– It doesn’t matter how awesome you are, if he’s not ready to settle down it’s never going to happen.
– He’ll say anything to shag you, but only when he knows you’re not the right girl.
– If he’s 30 or older and has never been in a serious relationship there’s a reason for that. Beware.
– Men want exactly the same things women do – to be loved, nurtured and respected.
– Consistent kindness is much more important than grand gestures. The guy who showers you with expensive gifts is often not the guy who shows up when you really need him.
– Men reveal themselves in the first few minutes of meeting you, so listen carefully to what he says. If he says he doesn’t want children, for example, you need to believe him.
– By the same token, he’ll tell you (without meaning to) how the relationship will end. Listen for clues like, ‘I’m bad at commitment/I was unfaithful/none of my relationships have lasted longer than three months.’ It’s a warning to you.
– If he cheated on his girlfriend/wife with you, rest assured he’ll cheat on you, too.
– The way he speaks about other people says more about him than it does about them. He’s mean about his ex? He’s a mean guy. Run for the hills.
– If he regularly needs ‘space’ or you find yourself making a lot of concessions to be with him, chances are he’s just not that into you. And he never will be. Leave, and find somebody else.